I fell upon this gem one day while I was supporting my Pinterest Addiction! I can not tell you how amazing these are and they are SUPER easy! I have made Peanut Butter ones and Chocolate Chip ones and they are soooo good! I mean not only are they absolutely delicious but my bank account loves them too! Instead of spending the money on the store bought ones, making my own are soooooo much cheaper! Plus these will be a great healthier snack for the kids down the road! It will prob be a fun activity that we can also make together 🙂
I found the recipe here, and follow the recipe to make the bars but adjust a little when adding the “fun” ingredients.
Homemade Granola Bars – Peanut Butter
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 C rice crispy cereal
1/4 C shredded coconut
1/4 C butter
1/4 C honey or agave
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 heaping spoon fulls of Peanut Butter (I use chunky and it works great)
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the oats, cereal and coconut, then add in the peanut butter (try and coat as much of the mixture as you can by continuously stirring and breaking up the peanut butter).
- Set a small saucepan over medium high heat and melt the butter. Add the honey, brown sugar and salt. Stir together then leave it alone as it comes to a boil. Once the boil has reached all the way around the edges of the pan, begin timing. Allow this mixture to boil for 2 minutes and 15 seconds.
- Add the vanilla then pour the mixture over the oats, using a rubber spatula to get all the sugar mixture out of the pan. Mix the ingredients together until the oats are completely coated.
- Once the mixture isn’t too hot (very shortly after, you don’t want to wait to long or it will harden before you shape), press very firmly it into a pan the size of your liking (you want to put it in a pan that will give you your desired length and thickness, I use an 11×7 and they are pretty good! I need to find the perfect pan though, one where I don’t need to cut in half, maybe a 11x4ish?)
- Place in the refridgerator for atleast an hr to harden, then cut them into bars and store in an airtight container.
*make sure you press the mixture very firmly into the pan to make sure the bars will stick together and hold their shape
**using my 11×7 dish it makes about 10-12 bars depending on how big you make them
Homemade Granola Bars – Chocolate Chip
Use all the same ingredients, switching the peanut butter for chocolate chips (I use mini)
The directions are mostly the same, except:
Don’t mix the chips into the dry mixture. You should mix them in to the mixture after the liquid is added and right before you transfer to the pan. You don’t want to add them too early when it is still hot because it will melt the chocolate (unless you don’t care and like smeared chocolate throughout instead of chips like me 😉 )
Well I hope you enjoy these as much as my family does! Go and give it a try! your body and bank account will thank you! 😉